FAQ: Can My Dog Eat Tuna Fish?
Yes. However, you should neither give it to your dog in large amounts nor on a daily basis because its mercury content is greater than in other fish varieties.
Types of Tuna Preparation for Dogs
Generally, tuna is a healthy food option for dogs. As a matter of fact, the raw or cooked one is all right. In addition, tuna steaks or canned tuna can also be given to dogs.
When you give raw tuna, be sure to remove every bone. On the other hand, only give well-done steaks to your pet. If they are not cooked well, they may contain parasites or cause your dog to vomit or suffer from diarrhea.
Be careful when feeding canned tuna. Although it can be served to dogs, it should only be given on rare occasions since it does not only contain large amounts of mercury but it also has high sodium content. If great amounts of both elements are present, this is not good for health. Excessive consumption of sodium can lead to pancreatitis.
Do not serve canned tunas that contain garlic and onion because these are toxic ingredients for dogs. Also, try to avoid canned tunas that contain tomato sauce and sunflower oil since these are too strong for their stomachs.
However, canned tunas prepared in brine or water are allowed for dogs. In addition, canned tunas that are specially prepared for dogs can be served, but it is still wise to check the ingredients.
Article you can like:
Importance of Tuna in a Dog’s Diet
Although certain precautions should be observed when serving tuna, it can offer several advantages to your dog’s health once these precautions are followed. It contains healthy fats (omega-3) and other nutrients that can help improve your dog’s overall health. Read on to find out how your dog can benefit from tuna.
- It can address issues pertaining to allergies in dogs.
- It can help regulate your dog’s cholesterol level.
- It promotes normal heart rhythm.
- It is essential in the prevention of blood clotting.
- It contains several B vitamins that are quite important for your dog’s health.
- It contains several minerals that your dog needs like magnesium and potassium to name a few.
- Its fatty acids and proteins can keep coat and skin healthy and look good all the time.